UNH logo
   Graduate School - Forms Server

Social Work Advanced Standing, Law Dual Degree - MSW/JD

The Department of Social Work and School of Law at the University of New Hampshire (UNH) are excited to offer an integrated dual degree program. In four years, students will be able to complete two graduate degrees, a Juris Doctorate Degree (J.D.) and a Master of Social Work Degree (MSW). The JD/MSW degree is designed for students who wish to pursue a career requiring knowledge of law and social work and, in particular, careers that address critical social justice issues such as immigration, gender bias and discrimination, and domestic violence. A typical dual degree candidate will complete his or her first year of law school and then sequence the remaining JD and MSW courses to take advantage of courses that will prepare the candidate for his or her career. Students complete two year-long field internships. The full-time program is available in Durham only. Students planning to enroll in the MSW’s advanced standing track must consult with Professor Sharon Murphy to understand the timing unique to the program. The MSW program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). Visit the UNH Law website for a map of the curriculum.

Application Information

photo of application to-do checklist
photo of calendar with pencil circling date

Applying to graduate school has never been easier! To complete your application, you will need:

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.

Deadlines: Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

  • Fall: February 1
  • Spring: N/A
  • Summer: N/A
  • Special: N/A

Campus: Durham

New England Regional: No

Accelerated Masters Eligible: No

Supplemental Materials: The Details


If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. However, if you attended GSC, Keene or Plymouth, then you must request and submit original transcripts from those institutions.

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to grad.school@unh.edu. Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required

At least one letter must attest to observed skills in a volunteer or employment setting that would be indicative of success in the social service field. It is recommended that two of the letters be from UNH Law faculty.

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions:

Applicants must provide a well-constructed double-spaced essay of 4-5 pages. Please respond to the questions below: 1) How did you become interested in social work? 2) What personal, academic, organizational, volunteer and/or paid work experiences have influenced your choice of social work as a profession? 3) Briefly discuss a current social issue of great concern or interest to you. 4) Describe some intellectual and personal attributes that you believe make you particularly suited for the profession of social work.

Statements must be included with your submitted application.


A current resume is required.

Additional Department Requirements:

In addition to the three letters of recommendation a complete application will include a statement of support from UNH Law. Current UNH Law students must request a statement of support from Lauren Berger, the UNH Law Assistant Dean for Students. Ask to have the letter sent directly to you as you will need to provide it when you submit your application. For new law students you may provide a copy of your admit offer letter in lieu of a formal statement of support.

Important Notes:

Significant volunteer and/or work experience in the field is strongly recommended. Graduation from an accredited undergraduate institution with a broad liberal arts background is required.

Please visit the UNH School of Law Dual Degree webpage for JD/MSW Dual Degree Guidelines. Students planning to enroll in the MSW’s advanced standing track must consult with Professor Sharon Murphy to understand the timing unique to the program. All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.

Additional Details for International Applicants

Prospective international students are strongly encouraged to go through our international pre-application process and are required to submit TOEFL (or equivalent) examination scores. Please note that TOEFL scores may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.