UNH logo
   Graduate School - Forms Server

Kinesiology, Social Work Dual Degree - MS/MSW

The program of Kinesiology offers a Master of Science degree with the following areas of concentration: exercise science, outdoor education, and sport studies. In addition, the programs of Kinesiology and Social Work offer a dual degree program, which consists of a Master in Science in Kinesiology with a concentration in outdoor education, as well as a Master in Social Work (M.S.W.) preparing students for careers in adventure therapy.

Application Information

photo of application to-do checklist
photo of calendar with pencil circling date

Applying to graduate school has never been easier! To complete your application, you will need:

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.

Deadlines: Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

  • Fall: February 1
  • Spring: N/A
  • Summer: N/A
  • Special: N/A

Campus: Durham

New England Regional: ME MA RI CT VT

Accelerated Masters Eligible: No

Supplemental Materials: The Details


If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. However, if you attended GSC, Keene or Plymouth, then you must request and submit original transcripts from those institutions.

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to grad.school@unh.edu. Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required

In addition, if applying to the Exercise Science option, at least two of the letters must come from professors that you took classes from at your undergraduate institution.

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions:

Please note that when applying to the Social Work and Kinesiology Dual Degree program you will need to provide two personal statements - one that addresses the Kinesiology program and one that focuss on the Social Work program. The requirements below are for the Kinesiology program.

Prepare a brief but careful personal statement regarding: 1) reasons you wish to do graduate work in this field, including your immediate and long-range objectives, and 2) your specific research or professional interest and experiences in this field.

Outdoor Education: Prepare a concise and focused personal statement describing: 1) Reasons you wish to pursue graduate study in outdoor education, including your career objectives, and 2) your specific research or professional interests. Be sure to specify how your interests match with the scholarly or professional focus of a specific faculty member in our program. Please visit the Outdoor Education faculty and research web pages and review faculty publications. It is also appropriate for you to contact the faculty member/s you are interested in studying with via email or phone for more information about their current research.

Exercise Science: Applicants to the Exercise Science M.S. program should provide a 500 word maximum statement pertaining to how their research interests align with current faculty interests. This research interests statement should be included as part of your personal statement in your application and is to aid in aligning prospective students with faculty mentors. Please review the Exercise Science faculty and research web pages and review faculty publications. It is also appropriate for you to contact the faculty member/s you are interested in studying with via email or phone for more information about their current research.

Statements must be included with your submitted application.


A current resume is required.

Additional Department Requirements:

The Kinesiology program has a dual degree option:

Important Notes:

The dual degree program between Social Work and Kinesiology is New England Regional eligible for ME, MA, RI, CT, and VT. All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.

Additional Details for International Applicants

Prospective international students are strongly encouraged to go through our international pre-application process and are required to submit TOEFL (or equivalent) examination scores. Please note that TOEFL scores may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.