UNH logo
   Graduate School - Forms Server

Nutritional Sciences: Non-Thesis Option - MS

The Accelerated B.S./M.S. program is designed for UNH undergraduates with demonstrated capacity to engage in upper-level course work and desire hands-on practice and research training for an advanced degree. The curriculum is designed to position students for employment opportunities in a variety of nutrition-related sectors (community nutrition, public policy, sales, higher education, government or non-profit, media/communications) or for those students who seek to increase their academic training prior to application to highly-competitive programs (dietetic internships, medical school, or other health professions).

The M.S. in Nutritional Sciences requires a minimum of 35 credits. Qualified students at the University of New Hampshire may complete up to 12 credits at the 800-level during their senior year, earning dual credit toward their B.S. and M.S. degrees. During the fifth year, enrolled students will complete a minimum of 23 additional credits toward the program requirements. This is the non-thesis option which is only available to existing UNH students.

Application Information

photo of application to-do checklist
photo of calendar with pencil circling date

Applying to graduate school has never been easier! To complete your application, you will need:

Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.

Deadlines: Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:

  • Fall: April 15
  • Spring: November 1
  • Summer: N/A
  • Special: N/A

Campus: Durham

New England Regional: No

Accelerated Masters Eligible: Yes

Supplemental Materials: The Details


If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. However, if you attended GSC, Keene or Plymouth, then you must request and submit original transcripts from those institutions.

If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:

  • Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to grad.school@unh.edu. Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
  • Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.

Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required

Special Note: Currently enrolled UNH students applying to the accelerated masters non-thesis option are only required to submit two letters of recommendation; the third letter can be waived once the application has been submitted. When entering the recommendation information for the third letter please enter a first name of "Nutritional Science" and a last name of "Waived" and for the email address enter grad.school@unh.edu. Once you submit your application our office will then waive the third letter after verifying you are eligible to have it waived.

Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.

Personal Statement/Essay Questions:

Prepare a brief but careful statement regarding: 1) reasons you wish to do graduate work in this field, including your immediate and long-range objectives, and 2) your specific research or professional interest and experiences in this field.

Statements must be included with your submitted application.

Additional Department Requirements:

UNH students who apply to the Accelerated BS/MS program must have a minimum 3.2 GPA. Students must maintain at least a 3.2 GPA.

The non-thesis option is only available to currently active UNH students. Please contact the department directly to see if you qualify to apply to this program.

Important Notes:

All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.

Additional Details for International Applicants

Prospective international students are strongly encouraged to go through our international pre-application process and are required to submit TOEFL (or equivalent) examination scores. Please note that TOEFL scores may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.