Apply to Graduate School at UNH
With our online application process, applying is easy and convenient. The online application form is for anyone interested in applying to a degree or a certificate program, including both United States and international citizens, although international citizens will need to complete our pre-application process first.
The 1, 2, 3's of Applying to Graduate School
1 - Apply Online
- Review our programs of study for deadlines, semesters open to applications and required supporting documents.
- Use the Online Application Form to create an on-line application account.
- Answer all sections and then click the "Application is Complete" button to submit your application and pay the non-refundable application fee.
- After submitting your application you are assigned a UNH Student ID (a 9-digit number begining with a 9). You will need this ID to submit your supporting documents.
2 - Submit Documents
- Determine what supporting materials are required for your program and have them sent directly to our office.
- Personal documents can be emailed to email@example.com. Include items such as essays, resumes, writing samples, etc.
- Include your full name and UNH ID on all submitted documents.
3 - Monitor Your Status
- Application Status: You are responsible for monitoring the status of your application; learn how on our application status instructions page.
- Admission Status: All official letters will be sent by email from the Graduate School office. Statements about admission from other sources are not official.
- Accept, Decline or Defer Offer: If you are admitted, you can respond to that offer of admission online using your Blackboard/MyUNH account. You can accept, decline, or defer your offer of admission.
- Graduate Aid: Offers of assistantships will come directly from the department.
Applicants are responsible for submitting the online application and any supporting materials directly to the UNH Graduate School (if mailing send to UNH Graduate School - Thompson Hall - 105 Main Street - Durham NH 03824). Do not send or address any materials to the department of study. Applicants are also responsible for monitoring the status of their application to make sure it is complete. All application materials become the property of the University of New Hampshire and will not be returned, duplicated, or forwarded to a third party at any time.
New Hampshire residents wishing to claim in-state residency must submit a residency form with their application materials. Veterans currently residing in New Hampshire who wish to claim in-state residency must complete a residency form for veterans and submit the form with their application materials.
Until in-state status is proven, applicants will be considered as out of state residents. For more information see the graduate school residency policy. Note: If you live in New England, you may be eligible for the New England Regional (NER) tuition discount program.
Social Security Numbers
The University of New Hampshire is requesting your Social Security number (SSN) to comply with federal and state reporting requirements regarding students attending the institution. You must provide your SSN if you are applying for financial aid. The institution is required by the Internal Revenue Code and other federal laws to report names and SSN's of students who receive financial aid. The institution will not disclose an applicant's SSN to anyone outside the institution except as mandated by law or institutional policy.
UNH Accounts and your UNH ID
After you complete and submit your online application you will be provided with your UNH Student (Common) ID, a nine digit number that begins with the number 9. Within one business day of being given that UNH ID you can then use it to activate your MyUNH/Blackboard account (if you have not done so already) and track your application status.
If you become a student (or are already a student) at UNH, you will also be assigned a UNH Email account that will be used for all official communications. Until you receive your UNH email account we will use the email address that you provided on you.