Mathematics - MST
The MST program is designed to enable teachers to deepen and broaden their mathematics background in core areas of geometry, algebra, and analysis; explore new content areas of mathematics; interact with supportive faculty and students in small classes; share ideas and teaching approaches with teachers from different areas of the country and of the world; consider perspectives which allow them to help their own students learn mathematics more effectively; participate in workshops and seminars to extend their knowledge of mathematics and to promote innovative teaching. The program features a strong emphasis on mathematics content, while also providing opportunities for teachers to consider alternative approaches to pedagogy. The program is typically completed in three summers and is designed primarily for experienced teachers of secondary school mathematics.
Applying to graduate school has never been easier! To complete your application, you will need:
- $65 application fee (pay online)
- Prior college transcripts
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Personal Statement/Essay Questions
Students claiming in-state residency must also submit a Proof of Residence form. This form is not required to complete your application, but you will need to submit it after you are offered admission or you will not be able to register for classes.
Deadlines: Applications must be completed by the following deadlines in order to be reviewed for admission:
- Fall: February 15 (for funding); April 1 (recommended US; final international); July 1 (final)
- Spring: December 1
- Summer: April 1
- Special: N/A
New England Regional: No
Accelerated Masters Eligible: Yes
Supplemental Materials: The Details
If you attended UNH after September 1, 1991, and have indicated so on your online application, we will retrieve your transcript internally; this includes UNH-Durham, UNH-Manchester and UNH Non-Degree work. However, if you attended GSC, Keene or Plymouth, then you must request and submit original transcripts from those institutions.
If you did not attend UNH, or attended prior to September 1, 1991, then you must request one official transcript be sent directly to our office from the Registrar's Office of each college/university attended. International transcripts must be translated into English. We accept transcripts both electronically and in hard copy:
- Electronic Transcripts: Please have your institution send the transcript directly to email@example.com. Please note that we can only accept copies sent directly from the institution.
- Paper Transcripts: Please send hard copies of transcripts to: UNH Graduate School, Thompson Hall- 105 Main Street, Durham, NH 03824. You may request transcripts be sent to us directly from the institution or you may send them yourself as long as they remain sealed in the original university envelope.
Letters of Recommendation: 3 Required
After you have submitted your online application and are assigned an UNH ID, visit our online Letter of Recommendation Request Form for instructions and to request letters from your chosen referees. Recommendation letters submitted by relatives or friends, as well as letters older than one year, will not be accepted.
Personal Statement/Essay Questions:
Prepare a brief but careful statement regarding: 1) reasons you wish to do graduate work in this field, including your immediate and long-range objectives, and 2) your specific research or professional interest and experiences in this field.
Once you have completed your statement, you can submit it:
- Electronically, as part of the online application process (strongly recommended)
- Via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail a hard copy directly to our office (address at bottom of page)
All applicants are encouraged to contact programs directly to discuss program specific application questions.
Additional Details for International Applicants
Prospective international students are strongly encouraged to go through our international pre-application process and are required to submit TOEFL (or equivalent) examination scores. Please note that TOEFL scores may be waived if English is your first language. If you wish to request a waiver, then please visit our Test Scores webpage for more information.