UNH logo
photo of office with the words "Financial Aid"

Graduate Financial Aid

The University offers a variety of forms of financial assistance to graduate students in support of their efforts to obtain a graduate degree. This aid comes in the form of graduate appointments, scholarships and fellowships, awards, federal financial aid, and veteran's benefits.

Graduate Assistantships, Fellowships, and other Appointments

Generally, the Graduate application for admission with supporting documents serves as the application for new graduate students for the scholarship and assistantship programs available to them. However, some departments have separate applications. Students are advised to contact individual departments for more information on any specific aid forms. Appointments are normally for one academic year and may be renewed provided that funds are available and that the student's academic and professional performance is satisfactory. For more information concerning all aspects of assistantships/ appointments, such as dates of appointment, supplemental policy, etc., see the Graduate Appointments section of our catalog.

For the upcoming 2018-2019 Academic year appointment details please refer to the Graduate Appointments 2018-2019 document on our website.

For departments in need of various appointment letter templates please see the Provost Office Appointment Letter Template webpage.


Information on graduate stipends can be found in our online catalog, under the graduate appointments section (scroll down till you reach it).

Graduate Assistant Orientation

The graduate assistant orientation is a mandatory program for all newly appointed graduate assistants and fellows and is held every fall and spring semester. For details on the next orientation, and all associated documents and information you are responsible for, visit the graduate assistant orientation page.

Federal Financial Aid

To apply for Federal Financial Aid you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). You can complete the application on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. The UNH priority deadline for applying for financial aid is March 1. This is the date by which the FAFSA Application must be received by the Federal processor. However, students applying after March 1st will still be considered for the Federal Direct Loan, which is not subject to the priority deadline. Students filing FAFSA after the priority deadline, however, will not be considered for federal work study; those interested in federal work study opportunities must file their FAFSA prior to the March 1st deadline.

Basic Eligibility Requirements

  • Attend classes at least half-time (5 or more credits per semester)
  • Enrollment in a degree program
  • Documentation of United States citizenship or eligible non-citizen status
  • Must maintain satisfactory academic progress (see "Conditions of Award")

Once you have been admitted you can check the status of your UNH Federal aid request online using your MyUNH account.

Gainful Employment Program

This information is provided for each program at the University of New Hampshire that is subject to the federal gainful employment regulations. This meets the gainful employment disclosure requirements as stipulated by regulations issued in October 2009 and subsequently updated in 2011. At public and private not-for-profit institutions, gainful employment programs are stand-alone Title IV-eligible certificate programs. Additional information is available at US Department of Education Gainful Employment Information website and disclosure forms are listed below:

Graduate Aid

Travel Grants

The Graduate School awards travel grants to students who are presenting their research and scholarship at professional meetings. Travel grants are also available to students who are attending professional development workshops and seminars that will enhance their research agendas. No more than two travel grants per academic year (fall to summer) will be awarded to each individual, who must be a current graduate student at the time of the application and travel. Travel grants will not exceed $200 per student per conference, or $400 per student per academic year. Students seeking a travel grant must make a request for one prior to the date of their conference or meeting. Application forms for travel grants are available at http://www.gradschool.unh.edu/php/travel_grant.php. Students receiving a travel grant are expected to participate in Graduate Research Conference which is held each spring. Names of travel grant recipients will be posted on the Graduate School website.


We offer three special awards that are given out each year; the Faculty Mentor award, the Student Research, Scholarship and Creativity award, and the Student Teaching award. All announcements and nominee applications for the most current academic year can be accessed on our forms page.

Scholarships and Fellowships

The Graduate School awards various scholarships and fellowships to students every year. Currently we offer merit and full-time scholarships along with dissertation fellowships and summer fellowships for teaching assistants. Applications for these various scholarships and fellowships can be found on the forms page of our website. The UNH Fellowships Office provides a list of available scholarships, fellowships, and other funding opportunities.

Fulbright and Government Employees

Graduate students funded on Fulbright's (IIE, LASPAU, AMIDEAST) are to be charged only in-state tuition (such students would be awarded an out of state tuition scholarship). The same policy applies to government employees (generally NOAA) who are reassigned to UNH as part of their "work" to pursue a degree. In each case the RC unit of the student will cover the cost of the out-of-state tuition via a scholarship.

Other Resources

There are currently a variety of off-campus fellowships, awards and related types of financial aid. You can find information on scholarships, and many tips on applying for aid, at the Financial Aid Tips Website and the Scholarship Help Website.

National Science Foundation

The The National Science Foundation's Graduate Research Fellowship Program (GRFP) helps ensure the vitality of the human resource base of science and engineering in the United States and reinforces its diversity. The program recognizes and supports outstanding graduate students in NSF-supported science, technology, engineering, and mathematics disciplines who are pursuing research-based master's and doctoral degrees at accredited US institutions. For more information see the UNH Graduate School NSF Presentation.

SPIN - Sponsored Programs Information Network

The SPIN Website provides detailed and timely information about thousands of Federal, non-federal and international funding opportunities. Searches can be initiated through general keywords (Quick search) or specific criteria categories (Advanced search). Requirements change but normally you can only access this website from within the campus network that the license has been purchased for.